[wellylug] Linux on laptops

Martin Bähr mbaehr at email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Sep 21 13:00:23 NZST 2004

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 01:32:29PM +1200, Donald Gordon wrote:
> I seem to recall installing potato from six -- root, boot, 4xdrivers

same for woody and i think sarge too

> But there was an option, IIRC with the PCI/IDE disks, to cut that down
> to one drivers disk, for three disks total.

hmm, i seem to remember having been able to cut that down to two,
there were some netinstall floppies that had the necessary
networkdrivers on the rootdisk.

my sony picturebook i installed from one! floppy, with the second being
a mere diskimage copied onto the swap partition. (necessary because of
the usb floppy drive which the kernel refudes to accept as a source for
the root floppy)

but just a few days ago i installed woody using zero! floppies with
debootstrap from a running system on that same machine.

none of these were smooth sailing though, since i made plenty of
mistakes before getting it right)

greetings, martin.
--
looking for a job doing pike programming, sTeam/caudium/pike/roxen training,
sTeam/caudium/roxen and/or unix system administration anywhere in the world.