[wellylug] SATA with Linux

Pete Black pete at marchingcubes.com
Fri Apr 29 15:50:47 NZST 2005

My motherboard has an onboard SiI3112 and it works fine running 2x120GB
seagate SATA disks, although it hangs completely when it is ripping DVDs
(or doing any significant IDE I/O) which i suspect is an interaction
between the SATA driver and the IDE driver than runs the DVD drive.

So the controller should work, but I don't think it is considered
'stable' by the SATA maintainer yet.

If I was going to build another linux box i wouldnt bother with SATA.

-Pete