[wellylug] Linux VPN Router Hardware

Martin Bähr mbaehr at email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Aug 3 23:49:52 NZST 2005

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 11:53:01PM +1200, Rob Giltrap wrote:
> It is also desirable if it has low power consumption as it'll run 24*7
> Should be inexpensive (but not at the expense of reliability)
> Can handle a full 10Mb/sec traffic load (this is critical)
> And is plentiful (i.e. I can buy 10 of them all the same)

you might want to look at the wrt54gs and related machines.
they can be run with the openwrt linux distribution which allows you to
customize the machine to your liking. they are cheap and plentifull
(ignore the wireless, you can turn that off)

i am using the wrt54g as a 10mbit router. it is a bit thight on
diskspace. you need to be very selective on what you install.
the gs has more space. newer or other models may have even more.
look at www.openwrt.org for details.

greetings, martin.
--
cooperative communication with sTeam      -     caudium, pike, roxen and unix
offering: programming, training and administration   -  anywhere in the world