[wellylug] Limiting bandwidth used by Debian upgrade

Gordon Paynter lists at paynter.info
Thu Aug 4 12:09:54 NZST 2005

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 09:50, Matt Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 09:45 +1200, David Antliff wrote:
> >    # trickle -s -d 10 apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> The subtlety with this method is that if apt restarts any daemons they
> are child processes of trickle and are hence rate limited to 10kbps (or
> whatever you chose).

Good point.

For the record, I am using

  trickle -s -d 10 -t 0.05 apt-get -d [upgrade or install or update]

and this helps a lot, though I think I will experiment a little more to find
out exactly the right parameters.  Note the -t 0.05 is necessary to "smooth"
out the bursts of network activity.  I still haven't figured out the
difference between running trickle with a daemon or standalone (-s); I
suspect that there's no need for a daemon when you're only running one
trickle process.

Gordon