[wellylug] Samba shares not accessible

Pete Black pete at marchingcubes.com
Fri Aug 5 08:52:04 NZST 2005

Make sure the XP box is set to the same workgroup as the samba server,
and try mapping a drive with a valid user/pass (e.g setup a samba user
on linux with (as root) 'smbpasswd -a <username> ') - Then try and
connect using a mapped drive on the XP side- which will prompt you for
the credentials to use to connect.

Many of the problems I have seen with XP and samba relate to its policy
of always trying to send the logged-in users name rather than attempt
anonymous logins. Mapping a drive at least gives you some control over
what Windows is sending.

smbpasswd -n -a <username> (where username is the same as your XP
username) should create a user account with no password, which may work
ok for 'network neighbourhood' access.

I have also found a few options that help out a lot with Windows access
in the share sections of smb.conf, especially 'guest only=yes' which
skips most of the authentication samba does, especially if you havent
set up smb accounts. This should in theory work to let XP connect with
its 'network neighbourhood'

Let me know if you still have problems after that

-Pete