[wellylug] Linux as selling point.

Donald Gordon don at dis.org.nz
Mon Aug 8 19:23:12 NZST 2005

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:16:41 +1200, David Murray <newslists at electronincantation.net.nz> wrote:

> I can understand it being a violation if the binaries were able to be
> taken off the gadget and used elsewhere. But if the binaries are an
> internal part of the gadget that is not accessible by the owner of the
> gadget (much like certain ROM in microwaves are inaccessible by the
> owners of said microwaves, then how does that constitute publishing a
> binary distribution of Linux for people to use?

It's still being distributed.  Even if you don't have the equipment to
extract it.  By your argument, I could put a kernel binary on a CD, and
encase it in concrete, and then not have to give you the source.

> I mean, to my thinking it would be different if they were attempting to
> sell a modified distro of Linux. But they're selling a gadget that just
> happens to be driven by Linux.

Some people like modifying their gadgets.  If you don't want to provide
source for the GPLed stuff you use, don't use GPLed stuff.

donald