[wellylug] Linux as selling point.

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jedolinux.com
Tue Aug 9 18:07:21 NZST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 17:38 +1200, David Murray wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 05:11, Martin Bähr wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 12:07:46AM +1200, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> > > And the owner says you (the Royal "you") can use it if you agree to release
> > > any modifications.  Otherwise, write your own and don't sponge off my work.
> >
> > the GPL version of that is:
> >
> > the owner says you can distribute it if you agree to allow the user to
> > make modifications. otherwise, write your own and don't sponge off my work.
> >
> > the GPL does allow you to use and modify the code for yourself without
> > requiring you to release the modifications.
>

> But if you are using the original software exactly as written by the
> Author without any modifications, then what modifications do you have to
> publish and thus also permit others to change?

doesn't matter if you have changes or not. If you distribute binaries,
you must provide source code.

Here's a chunk, from the GPL license
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html)

----------------------------
3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under
Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections
1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

        a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
        source code, which must be distributed under the terms of
        Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software
        interchange; or,

        b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
        years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
        cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
        machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
        distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a
        medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

        c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the
        offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative
        is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
        received the program in object code or executable form with such
        an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)

The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source code
means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control
compilation and installation of the executable. However, as a special
exception, the source code distributed need not include anything that is
normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the major
components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on
which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the
executable.

--
Jethro Carr <jethro.carr at jedolinux.com>

www.jethrocarr.jedolinux.com