[wellylug] wireless adapter

Robin Jury rljury at xtra.co.nz
Tue Aug 23 23:25:20 NZST 2005

dugan wrote:
> Robin,
>
> I started with Suse 9.1 that did not come with the rt2400 module.  I
> downloaded that from rt2x00.serialmonkey.com, compiled it, installed it and
> ran ifconfig.  The driver appeared to recognise but the transmitter and
> receiver refused to turn on.  When I ran the accompanying configuration tool
> [Rconfig], it did not find the card on its scan.  Serialmonkey recommended
> the updated version of the rt2400 driver.  The attempt to compile that
> crashed the system completely.  I decided to update to Suse 9.3 which
> includes the rt2400 driver.  It recognised the driver.  But the configuration
> resulted in a segmentation fault, also reported by other posts to the
> serialmonkey list.  So I gave up.
>
> Bob
>

> On Monday 15 August 2005 22:40, Robin Jury wrote:
>
>>dugan wrote:
>>
>>>Any recommendations for a wireless card?
>>>
>>>A couple weeks ago, I bought a DSE XHB135 card.  It is sold as linux
>>>compatible, uses the rt2400 chipset.  Since then, I have read a fair bit
>>>about wireless cards, compiled the module, read a lot of posts, installed
>>>a new OS [Suse 9.3], all to no avail.
>>>
>>>Thanks for any help.
>>>
>>>Bob Dugan
>>
>>What results are you getting?  Is the card being not being recognised,
>>or is it a config issue?
>>
>>When looking for cards that aren't directly supported by Linux, I have
>>had some success using the Windows driver with ndiswrapper.

Bob,

Had any more luck with this card?  If you haven't already, do have a go
using ndiswrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net) as they are
reporting success with this chipset. You've bought the card so it is
worth a go. (sorry for the delay in replying, I was looking for a card
-unsuccessfully- to try this out on).

cheers

Robin