[wellylug] spliting iso

Phillip Rose rosewong at paradise.net.nz
Sun Feb 6 09:10:01 NZDT 2005

I was hoping someone more experienced than I would have responded by now,
because I can only give you some possibly irrelevant tips, but here goes.
You didn't say what form the image is in (on a DVD disc or on your HDD),
but the copy method is similar, afaik.

At 10:55 05/02/05 +1300, Edouard wrote:
>Is there a way I can split a 15 G iso file into several ??????
>Has Mkisofs a split option or should I tar the directory first ?
>Thanks

This will allow you to access the contents of an .iso on a cdrom/dvd drive,
then you can allocate them as you wish. You will obviously need 30GB+ HDD
free space to do this all in one hit:

	$mkdir /mnt/images/
	$mkdir /mnt/isosrv/myimage1/
(assuming your cdrom/dvd drive is hdc)
	$cat /dev/hdc > /mnt/images/myimage1.iso

Now to access the contents of the image:
	$mount -t iso9660 -o loop,ro /mnt/images/myimage1.iso /mnt/isosrv/myimage1/

You can then copy files to cdrom-sized directories and make your own .isos.
If this is a Linux distro, then you'll probably want to make the first disk
bootable in your cdrecord options.

HTH,
--Phillip