[wellylug] Linux on Linksys WRT54G

Ewen McNeill wellylug at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Thu Feb 17 15:16:13 NZDT 2005

In message <20050103044527.9DAF33C48BB8 at basilica.la.naos.co.nz>, Ewen McNeill writes:
>My home firewall is now a Linksys WRT54G[0] running Linux 2.4.20 with
>Openswan[1] for the IPSec tunnels, a GRE tunnel, ssh (dropbear) and
>Shorewall[2] for the firewall rules.  I'm using the OpenWRT[3] Linux
>distribution and various packages for it, with a few modifications.

A word of warning for anyone considering purchasing a WRT54G (or
WRT54GS) now to do this with OpenWRT: Linksys have changed the hardware
in the latest models (WRT54G v2.2 and WRT54GS v1.1) so that they're not
supported by OpenWRT at present.

There's a in-development tarball which will apparently boot here:

http://rodent.za.net/files/openwrt/

with a mirror here:

http://mirrors.wireless.org.au/rodent.za.net/files/openwrt/

but reports on installing/booting it are somewhare mixed; see this
developer thread:

http://www.openwrt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=809

I do currently have a WRT54GS v1.1, but I've not tried that developer
firmware (yet).

Other possible hardware:

http://www.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware

Ewen