[wellylug] floppy drive problem

bob dugan bob.dugan at vuw.ac.nz
Sat Feb 19 15:28:41 NZDT 2005

I am using Redhat 8.2.

The old floppy drive was acting oddly.  So I replaced it with a new Dick Smith
hx5308 and rebooted.

The start up messages show "ide-floppydriver 0.99.newide"

But when I try to mount a floppy disk [from the Desktop or command line], I
get the message "/dev/fd0 is not a valid block device".
In /var/log/messages, the message is "I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector
0"

Without rebooting, I can swap the old drive for the new one and the old drive
proceeds to read floppy disks [albeit sometimes erratically].

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bob