[wellylug] Swapping mouse buttons

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Wed Feb 23 21:04:58 NZDT 2005

Hi All

I thought I'd give my right arm a rest and use the mouse with my left
for a while.  So I went into the GNOME Desktop Preferences -> Mouse
Preferences and selected Left-handed Mouse.

I was quite surprised to find that it hadn't swapped the buttons.
Eventually, I realised that in fact the buttons had been swapped, but
only on the primary pointer device - the laptop's Synaptic touchpad.

Does anyone know if it's possible to swap the buttons on pointer devices
independently?

The relevant bits from my XFree86Config file look like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier    "Touchpad Mouse"
        Driver        "synaptics"
        Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
        Option        "Protocol"      "auto-dev"
        Option        "LeftEdge"      "1700"
        Option        "RightEdge"     "5300"
        Option        "TopEdge"       "1700"
        Option        "BottomEdge"    "4200"
        Option        "FingerLow"     "25"
        Option        "FingerHigh"    "30"
        Option        "MaxTapTime"    "180"
        Option        "MaxTapMove"    "220"
        Option        "VertScrollDelta" "100"
        Option        "MinSpeed"      "0.06"
        Option        "MaxSpeed"      "0.12"
        Option        "AccelFactor"   "0.0010"
        Option        "SHMConfig"     "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "USB Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"  "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice     "Touchpad Mouse"    "CorePointer"
        InputDevice     "USB Mouse"         "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection