[wellylug] reading a audio cd via network

Jamie Baddeley wellylug at vpc.co.nz
Sun Jan 9 10:27:45 NZDT 2005

scenario:

box a: has cddrive but small cpu/memory/disk
box b: has no cddrive, but large memory/cpu/disk.

I want to be able to treat the remote cd drive like a local device.

I've looked at the NBD client/server but my cd backup software seems to
barf....

cdda2wav -D /dev/nd0
cdrom device (/dev/nd0) is not of type generic SCSI. Setting interface
to cooked_ioctl.
126976 bytes buffer memory requested, 4 buffers, 8 sectors
cooked: Read TOC : Invalid argument

I'm not sure if NFS will do the job...

It's audio CD's that seem to make it difficult, otherwise I'd just use
nfs.

has anyone else done this?

jamie