[wellylug] Redhat ES3

Pete Black pete at marchingcubes.com
Thu Jan 20 10:02:13 NZDT 2005

>While we're at it, can someone remind me of the vagaries
>of /etc/rc.d/init.d and /etc/init.d with RH, because ISTR some weirdness
>there.

It is a little wierd - Redhat just puts what would be in /etc/init.d on
Debian in /etc/rc.d/init.d

so rather than having 2 directories in /etc for the init system (init.d
and rc.d) redhat sticks everything under rc.d. I am not sure of the
precise reasons why this is, or which is correct, whether from a
technical or 'historical convention' perpspective.

It is a Redhat-ism, but not one i get too worried about. Other distros
such as Slackware or CRUX use a BSD-style init, which is a much bigger
change.

-Pete