[wellylug] udev/hotplug

jumbophut jumbophut at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 23:54:41 NZDT 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:21:22 +1300, John C Barstow wrote:

> My understanding is as follows:
>
> The kernel sends events to hotplug, which loads the appropriate driver
> and broadcasts the event to listeners.
> UDEV listens to hotplug events, and creates device nodes in response,
> based on information in the /etc/udev/rules location. It then uses D-BUS
> to broadcast the device information to the rest of user space.

Thanks John.  I'm not going to be using a GUI, so D-BUS is probably
not an option, but the info you've provided looks useful anyway.  I
note that you can use udev to load modules, since you can specify that
it run a file in a rule (e.g. a script that loads modules), but it
doesn't seem to be intended to do that.

--
Tony (echo 'spend!,pocket awide' | sed 'y/acdeikospntw!, /l at omcgtjuba.phi/')