[wellylug] Microsoft At WellyLUG last night.

Bret Comstock Waldow bwaldow at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 12 20:54:53 NZST 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:35, Jethro Carr wrote:

> Did anyone ask them about the XML patent they are trying to push though
> NZ court? DESPITE it getting THROWN OUT OF THE U.S.!!
>
> But don't worry - since they want to be our friends now, maybe if we ask
> them they'll let use use it.
>
> forgive me for being paranoid, but it's just how I feel - something's
> not right. Does anyone else feel disturbed about this??

Microsoft was convicted in US Federal Court of breaking the law.  There is no
doubt about their approach to business - that's not a matter of opinion - it
is a matter of public record.  Not just rumored - convicted.

We know what their goal is - much the same as many other businesses.  We also
know the lengths they are willing to go to to reach their goals, unlike
honest people.

Microsoft is a company of people - so were the businesses they illegally put
out of business.  This is public record - there is no need to pretend about
it.

As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft employees are invited to quit and join
companies that are willing to do honest business - then I'll think well of
them too.  If my employer lies or cheats, I will call them on it - they are
lying to and cheating my neighbors - and I'll find a company that plays
straight - I won't help anyone lie.

Pretending doesn't change reality.  If you want things to go well, you have to
speak up and act when things don't go well.

Regards,
Bret