[wellylug] Microsoft At WellyLUG last night.

Pete Black pete at marchingcubes.com
Wed Jul 13 08:33:30 NZST 2005

Its important to keep some perspective here - Microsoft is being
challenged (e.g the NZOSS objection to the XML patent mentioned - it is
very likely MS will not get this patent approved in NZ based on the
NZOSS legal challenge) by 'grassroots' organisations around the globe.

Microsofts worst nightmare is strong community  around non-MS software,
and they clearly have a mandate to try and get a voice inside these
communities. Personally I think we gave them more of the floor than
they deserved - and they were able to turn what should have been a
meeting about Linux stuff  into an MS vs the world whinge-fest.

MS's position is well understood, and giving them all this attention is
exactly what they are after. I think, before posting these big
'MS-is-evil' rants, maybe we should back the truck up and remember what
we all come together at WellyLUG for.

I had a good time at WellyLUG, caught up with friends I don't see as
much as i'd like, and was able to help out some fellow Linux users with
their problems. That, to me, is what it is all about, and if Brett
Roberts has problems with his Linux box i'll fix it for him too.

-Pete