[wellylug] Microsoft At WellyLUG last night.

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jedolinux.com
Wed Jul 13 10:29:53 NZST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 09:35, Cliff Pratt wrote:
> Centurion Computer Technology Ltd wrote:
> >
> > Could you honestly say that Microsoft is the only one.
>  > Is an employee automatically evil just by association?
> >
> Microsoft is not the only one and not the worst. One of the
> worst is RedHat who have the cheek to charge for free
> software by pretending that they provide "service". That is
> truly evil. Not only does it put individuals off from trying
> it, but it stifles innovation and promotes lock-in to
> 'their' product. Remember, what you now pay over $600 for
> you used to pay $80 for. Per annum. Or more likely 'per anum'.

But Redhat pays developers to make their products. They must get an
income to pay the developers.

$600 may seem like a rip off (and it proberly is), but lets explain
this:
you are a in a large company and want to convince the management to
switch from Windows to Linux. If you tell them that a Linux server
solution costs $80 and a Windows is $1000, what are they going to think?
They will think that there is something wrong or flawed with Linux, no
matter what you tell them.

However, if you say Linux is $600 and Windows is $1000, they see Linux
simply as a cheaper alternative, but still just as good as Windows.
(from their viewpoint - we know linux is BETTER than windows)

Redhat aims their products at the commercial server market, and to get
into that market they need to charge high prices to keep in line with
all the other solutions out there.

Redhat does no stifle innovation, they are constally expanding
opensource software, and releasing it to the community. Sure, you may
dislike Redhat for being too commercially driven, but if you want to
compete, you need to be.

And Redhat DOES NOT run a monopoly, DOES NOT use closed standards, DOES
NOT promote lies and DOES NOT try and lock people in.

--
-- Jethro Carr

jethro.carr at jedolinux.com

http://jethrocarr.jedolinux.com