[wellylug] hard drive problem

Bill Christiansen bill.christiansen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 09:11:07 NZST 2005

I think the 4GB HDD on my old P2 laptop has developed a bad block or
two. I first noticed it when ever I started synaptic there was an
abnormally large amount of HDD activity and synaptic would take
several times longer than normal to start. I decided to try a fresh
install, after recreating & formating the partions but now the extra
hard drive activity and delay seems to occur right when X is starting
(eventually KDE does start and seems to run OK). Is there a way to do
a surface scan and mask out the bad blocks?

Probably time I looked at replacing the HDD but I don't think it's
particularly easy to get to on this Toshiba satellite. I remember
going in through the keyboard one time to have a look but couldn't see
any way to remove the HDD without pulling the whole thing to bits.

PS I had intended to make the last WellyLug and bring along some
PCLinuxOS cd's but got called out of town for work so appologies.

Bill