[wellylug] hard drive problem

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Fri Jul 15 10:07:52 NZST 2005

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Centurion Computer Technology Ltd wrote:
> You want to install the package with the tools for probing the hdd
> SMART.  What distro are you using.

Is a 4GiB HDD likely to support SMART ?

Also, if SMART is relevant, (smartctl -a /dev/hdX) it's important to
understand how to interpret the numbers. Usually, the smaller the number
the worse the situation, but not always...  also, the 'TYPE' field
indicates the type of failure *if* the value/threshold indicates a
problem. It does not mean there's currently a 'pre-fail' condition for
example.

A quick search brought up:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/qual/featuresSMART-c.html

I read a good Linux-based guide to interpreting smartctl's output
somewhere but I can't find it right now.

--
David.