[wellylug] laptop advice sought

bob dugan bob.dugan at vuw.ac.nz
Fri Jul 22 10:27:39 NZST 2005

I just bought my first laptop [acer aspire 3002LCi].  It has preinstalled XP
Home.  The 40G  hdd appears to have three partitions, two 18G fat32
partitions and a smaller one containing "diagnostics".

I want to install Linux on the Laptop and retain the XP OS.  I have done this
occasionally but not recently [windows 98] on a home PC.

I am wondering whether there are any odd hooks that I should be aware of.
Also, whether one distro is better suited than the others.

I am not a programmer.  Nor do I have any experience with XP or windows
generally.  For the last five or six years, all three of our family's PC run
only Linux [RH8.0, suse9.2, and debian potato].

Thanks for any advice