[wellylug] Xorcom Rapid 1.1 Released

Alec Davis sivad.a at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jul 26 22:15:43 NZST 2005

Extracted from http://asteriskvoip.blogspot.com/

Xorcom Rapid 1.1 is here.

* Asterisk 1.0.9
* Flash Operator Panel
* improved Zaptel hardware detection: should hopefully detect E1, T1 ZapHFC
and qozap. No more channel numbers guessing in zapata/zaptel.conf
* and much of the "extra" software available for it

You can get the full details at:

so I'll just highlight the points that I believe are more relevant to the
people here rather than a standard press-release. Warning: long post.

Xorcom Rapid is based on the current Debian Stable. This is not just
Asterisk built from source on a certain system: we use native distribution
packages. You can install just the parts you like. E.g: spandsp and the h323
channel (with their extra dependencies) are optional components. It is also
possible to upgrade packages or the whole system.

It is a binary distribution. Some people really don't like that idea. They
think that if you didn't built it from upstream source it's not worth it.
Well, if you have such an attitude then why are you running a Linux/*BSD
distribution? use LinuxFromScratch to build a system "like a real
programmer", and come back to report how long it took you and if you
eventually did get a better and more manageable result.

Binary distribution is by no means locked down. You need to apply some fixes
to the source? a decent packaging system provides simple ways of extracting
the original source, patching it, and building the result. Build your own
debs. True, you may need to set up a separate build system, but then again,
the whole build tool-chain is not needed for a PBX to run.

We tried to separate the configuration to smaller files. This should make it
safer to use newer configuration that fixes and enhances the default, and
yet maintain your local changes. We do want to make it easier for you to
upgrade your system, so you won't be stuck with an old, broken Asterisk that
"happened to work and you don't touch it".

That said, we do realise that the voodoo factor is still considerably large.
We can't and won't try forcing upgrades on anybody's precious PBX system.

This version is based on 1.0 . However it seems that the CVS head is really
not that far from becoming 1.2 . The next version of Rapid will be based on
it. Debian is also supposed to start working with Asterisk "1.1" packages in
the Experimental branch. In the near future we will probably continue
backporting required packages from Unstable when necessary and maintain
compatibility with Stable.

Vim is included, along with syntax highlighting for asterisk configurations.
vim is not the default vi (nvi is much smaller, you know) but if you edit
many files, you'd probably want to install it.

I am looking for improvements: e.g: when editing Apache's httpd.conf files
or CSS files, the syntax highlighting is very good at spotting syntax
errors. I have already added something simple in that direction (a line that
begins with '#' and is not an 'include' will be coloured as an error), but
I'd like to see more.

Also included in this release is a web-based configuration interface called
DeStar . I'm interested to expose it to a larger crowd, so have a go with

I've included some scriptary to play convert MP3s (off line) to "phone
quality" WAVs, and to play the WAVs with sox for the music-on-hold . I would
appreciate input on what you'd expect there. e.j: add some randomisation to
the "wav-player" scriptlet?

The detection of Zaptel PRI and BRI cards should detect channel numbers
correctly. But the span parameters and such are generally my simple attempt
to give sane defaults. If it doesn't work in your case, please let me know.
As a general note, if a simple shell script can detect channel numbers so
easily, why can't chan_zap do all the work by itself?

And another small thing to simplify the initial testing: iaxcomm.exe is
included on the CD. For windows people it should run off the CD. One less
thing to download.

We have also set up a mailing list for Rapid, so feel free to subscribe
there and post questions to a smaller, more focused crowd:

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.