[wellylug] Uninstalling Yaboot on Macintosh PPC NewWorld computers (only Macintosh users reply please)

Steven Mulvay steven.mulvays.groups at paradise.net.nz
Wed Jun 1 00:49:56 NZST 2005

Hi all,
I'm wanting to completely reformat my hard disk deleting every operating system installed including Yellow Dog Linux. At the moment I'm running a duel boot system with MacOS X on one partition and Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 on the other. My friend has told me that using MacOS X's Disk Utility program to format the hard disk will successfully erase all the contents of both the MacOS X and the Yellow Dog partition as well as the partitions themselves. My question is, is the Yaboot bootloader program (the program which allows me to select which operating system to use) stored on the Linux OS partition, or is it stored on one of the many special hidden partitions that Macs have at the beginning of their drives, such as the boot strap? My worry is that if Yaboot is stored on one of these special hidden partitions that MacOS X's disk utility won't erase it. If this is the case, how do I safely remove any trace of Yaboot from my computer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve