[wellylug] cable modem email issues

Jamie Dobbs jamie.dobbs at orcon.net.nz
Sat Mar 19 14:56:26 NZDT 2005

Jamie Baddeley wrote:

>Well that's odd. I guess things must be spotty, as I've definitely seen
>this in the past. I had a customer with exactly the same problems. I
>tcptracerouted on port 25 from the US to the host in question, and
>things definitely stopped at TCL international border in NZ. It must not
>have been my imagination, as they're still paying us for the solution.
>
>I've doubled checked, and that seems to be the case.
>
>Network 203.96.154.0/24 is not filtered, but Network 203.79.97.0/24 is.

Looks like yet another reason to stay the hell away from TelstraClear
and their idiotic ideas of "customer service" and "technology".
If I pay for an Internet connection I expect to be able to run any and
all services on it that I want to (obviously within the terms and
conditions of supply). If the provider is blocking certain ports tat are
stopping me from having what is rightfully mine I would take my custom
away from them.I know for certain that when I was on cable many years
ago you could run what ever you wanted and they blocked nothing, my
guess now is that they are trying to say its a purely residential
service so they won't allow you to run any servers?

When are people going to realise that TelstraClear are worse than
Telecom for ruining things, look at Paradise.net - it used to be a top
notch ISP with excellent service and customer support, now it's nothing
but a bunch of cowboys (IMHO).