[wellylug] Latest Debian?

Cliff Pratt enkidu at cliffp.com
Sat Mar 19 17:25:54 NZDT 2005

Wayne Koorts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not sure how the Debian thing goes but is there a way that one can
> get a recent version of Debian, ie more up to date software than
> Woody?  I've heard people talking about the latest 'snapshots' or
> something?  Does anyone have a copy of this?  I'd love to get it, and
> of course I'll replace the CD's used.

It's easy. There are two main routes: keeping a mixed system
and using backports.

Debian comes in three distros, Woody aka Stable, Sarge aka
Testing and Sid aka Unstable. If you set up Debian correctly
you can mix and match between distros. You can "pin" your
setup to any distro (eg Stable) and still pull packages from
  Testing and Unstable. It's called keeping a mixed system.

More here:
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
or the ast bit of this:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html

You can also get "backports" of more recent packages to
Debian Stable if you prefer.

http://www.backports.org/

I run a mixed system myself. But others prefer backports.

Cheers,

Cliff