[wellylug] BenQ DW1620 Internal IDE DVD-Writer

Andrew Stephen andrew.stephen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 13:42:25 NZST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:50:42 +1200, Rob Giltrap <rob at kiwihq.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Are there any gotchas I need to be weary of regarding Linux support of
> this device?
> What Linux software do people use to backup data files to DVD?

I can't comment on the BenQ drive but I have recently been playing
with DVD writing.  My experience is with an Ubuntu Warty desktop,
however be warned; I have restricted, universe, multiverse,
warty-backports and debian-marillat configured as apt sources.  Your
milage will almost certainly vary.

For simple writing of files to CD or DVD I use drag-and drop with
Nautilus.  If you have a GNOME desktop using Nautlius you will
probably find this works easily.  The downside if that you don't get
any indication of how full your media is before you write.  Also, it
will not let you append to a session.

For backups I use growisofs directly.  I found the following tutorial
invaluable in learning growisofs as well as DVD writing in general:

   http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

I run manual full backups rather than automated incremental backups.
For a more robust backup with incremental capability I have looked at
scdbackup, but haven't implemented it yet.

    http://scdbackup.webframe.org/main_eng.html

--
Andrew Stephen
http://www.evil.geek.nz/