[wellylug] Linux admin advice

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Wed May 4 08:35:34 NZST 2005

Hi,

I just had 2x 500Mhz desktops with Linux, apache, tomcat, php, Postgres &
Postgis supplied for a project.

The people supplying them were free to choose the distro they felt appropriate,
and are competent Linux/Unix admins.

I am concerned over the amount of time they are claiming for this work.
Obviously I have a preconceived idea of what is reasonable, but would like
other's opinions.

This seems like a good place to ask :-)

So, can anyone here who has set up few such systems comment on how long they
believe is reasonable. No virtual server config, database builds, etc, just
install & pass on to a user who will set up the printers, databases, php "code"
etc.

They supplied the hardware & installed the software, so IMHO, any time spent on
hardware issues is not my problem as they should have supplied compatible
hardware anyway, but I understand there were no such issues to slow them down.

Can you let me know what a reasonably normal time should be for this (per
system), and about what length of time you believe it is starting to get
unreasonable?

adTHANKSvance

  Brent