[wellylug] How to connect to the internet via Ethernet and Jetstream

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jedolinux.com
Sat May 14 16:52:27 NZST 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 16:23, Bill & Di wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I was wondering someone could please help me.
>
> I signed up for Jetstream a few months back and got a D-Link DSL-302G
> modem to connect to the internet but have been stuck with Windows using
> a USB connection.  I finally got an ethernet connection and seem to have
> it working.  At least thats what the utility at http//:10.1.1.1 tells me.
>
> What I can't do is get on the internet as my web browser says "no such
> host".  What do I have to do to get over this final hurdle.

login to the modem at 10.1.1.1 and make sure the modem says that the WAN
is connected first. if it isn't, it's a modem setting problem.

otherwise:

the problem is the computer either doesn't know where to look or dns
resolution isn't working.

have you set your default gateway to 10.1.1.1?

also, set your DNS server to 10.1.1.1, as your modem should
automatically get the DNS from telecom.

most distros have a gui tool for configuring these things. Which linux
distro are you using? If you specify that, we can give more indepth
help.

--
-- Jethro Carr

jethro.carr at jedolinux.com