[wellylug] CCUX install stops at "vesafb"

Rosemary McGillicuddy mcgillra at infogen.net.nz
Tue May 24 14:01:56 NZST 2005

Bill Christiansen wrote:
> Another distro you might like to try is PCLinuxOS, based on Mdk so
> will have some familiarity.

Yes it's been recommended by a couple of people and I've looked at their
website - sounds good.

> Comes as a live CD but with a "Live-CD-Install" icon on the desktop.
> After installing to the hard drive you can then use the Synaptic
> package manager to add/remove programs. One really nice feature is it
> comes with the mklivecd scripts pre configured so you can backup your
> complete customised system onto another livecd just by typing:
> mklivecd new.iso --bootimg boot.lss
> Then after burning the iso, the customised livecd can be run as a
> livecd or used to reinstall the system to the hard drive should the
> need arise.

That sounds like an excellent option.  One of the pains about
reinstalling is all the configuring what you like.

> I'm running off a remastered live cd at the moment and can't tell the
> difference from my hard drive install (still got all my custom firefox
> links and my ltmodem I installed from source etc) apart from being a
> bit slower when it needs to read something from the CD.
> If you'd like to try this one let me know and I'll send the CD.
> Bill

Okay thanks Bill - I would like, but no hurry as still have CCUX,
vectorlinux (an old version), knoppix and mophix to look at.  Mepis
currently installed on second box and want to check printing and
internet, and how to update before trying another distro.  Going to use
an ethernet switch, at least that 's what I think it is, to network the
two computers and share modem and printer.
Regards

--
Rosemary

Registered Linux User # 386597  http://counter.li.org
"A friend may well be a masterpiece of nature".  Emerson