[wellylug] Maori Language for Windows...

John C Barstow jbowtie at amathaine.com
Mon Nov 28 21:24:53 NZDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 18:45 +1300, Chris Hodgetts wrote:
> Hello,.
>
> Just watched the news, and I saw that Microsoft have released a Maori
> Language pack for Windows and Office, and a spell checker as well.
>
> Does anyone know how the project to translate Linux into Maori is going?
>
>  Just wondered if the developer/maintainer of that project wanted to
> contact TV3 who had the report, to try and get some perspective on the
> story and do a story of a finished product in Linux?

Well, it's still little old me by my lonesome. I've actually been losing
ground, but am more than willing to accept volunteers.  I've started an
Ubuntu translation team, too, so I can monitor and commit translations
done using Rosetta (the online Ubuntu translation tool).

I should be able to import masses of stuff for OpenOffice localization
from the Windows pack, so we might get decent coverage yet. Mind you,
I'd be a lot further along if there were any other volunteers.

The biggest accomplishment so far from my perspective is actually
shipping Maori language keyboard layouts in X.org 6.9/7.0; they are
already available by default in Ubuntu and Debian unstable.

I'm in the process of rolling a new Breezy-derived distro that has Maori
support turned on by default and some kiwi-centric art.