[wellylug] Unexplained (so far) incompatibility of USB card reader and Linux PC

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jedolinux.com
Tue Oct 4 10:37:21 NZDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 20:47 +1300, Donald Rogers wrote:
> David Antliff asked
>
> > The dmesg log doesn't show a failure as far as I can tell. What do you
> > mean exactly by 'the software fails part way through' - which software
> > and part way through what process?
>

> When my card was plugged into another PC it gave another three lines of
> output (as I remember it). Maybe Jethro remembers this.

I think it was basically saying how it created the device node, but I
can't remember word-for-word.

> E.Chalaron remarked:
>
> > This is happening here with an ASUS MB. Any USB device is detected but
> > there is no mknod for it... Never managed to get it work...
> > On the other hand other computers never had a single issue detecting
> > keyboard, USB keys and so on ...
>

> I suspect that this is part of the problem. Is it that the software does
> not have the necessary parameters or drivers for ASUS?
> It is still not working.

I'm thinking that the system is loading the wrong USB controller driver (like Tony said).

--
Jethro Carr <jethro.carr at jedolinux.com>

www.jethrocarr.jedolinux.com

www.jethrocarr.jedolinux.com/index.php?page=cv/cv.php