[wellylug] my compaq evo laptop and linux for realtime audio...

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Mon Oct 24 14:28:29 NZDT 2005

hey,

I've got myself a Compaq Evo n610c laptop and am having some problems
with linux (PCMCIA issues), and with getting realtime audio to work. I'm
using Agnula/DeMuDi (Debian with multimedia patches and software), but
have also had a bit of a play with Knoppix 3.7 and had similar results.

Judging by some of the current talk on the kernel mailing list, the
PCMCIA issues seem to be related to a vaguely current problem with Yenta
and certain Texas Instruments CardBus bridges. When Yenta does make it
through initialisation without locking up, the PCMCIA subsystem has a
habit of crashing after a random length of time, which is a problem as
my only connection to the internet is via a PCMCIA modem. When it crahes
it tends to take out IRQ11 as well, and so restarting PCMCIA using
modprobe doesn't bring it back up.

I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out at the next
WellyLUG meeting. In the meantime I'm running Windows 2k as it allows me
to do the stuff that I want to do (realtime audio) but I do want to move
away from windows entirely and do everything with Linux, for reasons
that are hopefully obvious to most people here :) I know how to code so
I'm not averse to diving in and playing with the kernel source but I
figure it doesn't make sense to do so if there's some other way around
it that may be easier/faster/better.

cheers