[wellylug] Non-console Beep for linux ?

Tony Wills ajwills at paradise.net.nz
Sun Sep 18 02:09:22 NZST 2005

At 01:16 18/09/2005, you wrote:
>Tony Wills wrote:
>>Does anyone know of a small linux program to beep the built in PC speaker
>>that doesn't need the console device?  (ie not echo -e "\a")
>
> From man beep :
>
>IOCTL WACKINESS

Thanks for that, but "beep" is using the console device or the tty device
etc, I want something that can tweek the built in speaker on a headless
system that doesn't have a vga card, and the console if any is on a serial
line.  But I don't want the serial console/tty to beep, I want the built in
speaker to beep!  So I probably want some naughty program that pokes
directly at the hardware, or presumably there is a BIOS ROM function that
beeps (but then does Linux use any BIOS functions?).