[wellylug] small install linux

Matt Brown matt at mattb.net.nz
Tue Sep 20 09:55:32 NZST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 09:47 +1200, S Gallaghan wrote:
> Hi
> I'm looking for a small footprint version of linux to run on older
> pentiums (166-200, 32Mb ram). I need to have gcc installed. I will be
> using these to run zebra (router emulator). this only comes in source
> so i will need gcc. I only need console (no X) but will need a moden
> kernal (2.6) for drivers for network cards. I would like to use very
> small HDD (200Mb - 1Gb).

I seem to recall there have already been some suggestions for small
distros in the past day or two so I won't go in to detail on that.

However as soon as you start to require a build environment your
resources are going to increase a bit, at 1Gb you'll be fine, but 200Mb
might be pushing it depending on which distro you choose.

Incidentally Quagga (which superseded Zebra) is available in binary
format for many popular distributions[0] so you may not need to compile
it at all, significantly reducing that amount of software you need
installed. Even if you can't find a prebuilt binary there is nothing
stopping you compiling it on another machine and then copying it onto
your limited resource computer.

Regards

[0] http://www.quagga.net/download/binaries/

--