[wellylug] Installfest report

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jedolinux.com
Sun Sep 25 10:07:22 NZST 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 14:08 -0700, Brent Wood wrote:
> With the extra space Silicon had arranged over last year we were much less
> crowded, even with the same number of installs going on, people could wander
> more easily and see what was being done.

I agree, it was very useful.

> A first for this year was setting up some systems with each of the distros
> running as demo's, so people could see & try them before choosing which distro.
> We had Mandriva, SUSE 9.2 and Ubuntu systems for people to try, and there was
> someone using at least one every time I checked. Thanks to all the Luggites who
> wandered through this area to help & answer questions. This will be a must have
> at future events.

Definitely - I always saw constant people over there, and when I went
over, whilst waiting for CD's to get burnt, they had many questions
about Linux.

> Special thanks to Jethro, for his CD burning support (and help in other areas).
> Just as well his CDRW drive has water cooled bearings.

No worries. ;-)

> Thanks also to the rest of you who turned up and helped on the day, stuck
> fliers up around the place, and generally contributed how you could. It's all
> much appreciated.

I think we should be saying 'thanks' to you Brent, for arranging such a
good event. I know from emails I received from you, you were up till
4:00am working hard on the installfest, plus running about getting live
cd's onto DSE's PCs, writing a presentation, organising all the
sponsers, etc.

> And last but by no means least, the sponsors.
>
> Having taken enough books from Dymocks shelves to cover two trestle tables, you
> could barely see a gap on their shelves. A great range of OS related computer
> books on display, though sales were down on previous years, interest was still
> high.

Sometimes people see the books and then go and check out the full
display at dymocks at a later day. I for one, really need to get around
to going there to have a look.

> DSE passed out flyers and helped advertise, asd also provided 100 of their Open
> Office CD's to give away. We appreciate their support for the fest, and also
> for Linux in NZ generally.
>
> Novell's SUSE Pro sets proved very popular. Getting these sets with such
> comprehensive printed user and admin guides, as well as the software on CD &
> DVD was great. I felt they helped us raise the profile of OS & Linux, showing
> the professional as well as the community side of the OS movement.

These things were great. I was very impressed. When I told people they
could install them, everyone kept asking me how much they cost, and I
had to keep telling them they were free.

For all the installs I tried to get people to use SuSe, as they came
with indepth user and admin manuals, making it great for newbies.

> And, again, special thanks to Silicon & Liam. A great venue, wonderful support
> and sponsorship, from lending a laptop to run a promo on, to donating the 19"
> screen as a prize (drawn tomorrow), providing a great spread for the Luggites
> there (not that I really need it!), and the behind the scenes time & effort
> involved to clear out their assembly areas so we can use them just for a day.
> Fantastic support for the Installfest & Wellylug. Greatly appreciated!

Agreed, Silicon was just fantastic. Everything we could possibly want
was provided, and they were very helpful.

--
Jethro Carr <jethro.carr at jedolinux.com>

www.jethrocarr.jedolinux.com

www.jethrocarr.jedolinux.com/index.php?page=cv/cv.php