[wellylug] Re: Mini-Keysigning @ Meeting of 10th April

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Sun Apr 9 17:44:07 NZST 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 13:34 +1200, Timothy Goddard wrote:
> Jethro Carr wrote:
>
> >oops, that should be the 10th of April. :*)
> >

> >On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 20:28 +1200, Jethro Carr wrote:
> >

> >>hi all,
> >>
> >>at the end of the last meeting I said that I planned to hold a
> >>mini-keysigning.
> >>
> >>If you are interested, please reply to this email, so I can get an idea
> >>of how many people really are interested. It might be 0, 5, 10 or 20.
> >>I'm really not sure. :-)
> >>
> >>My presentation (presented last meeting) on GPG is available below, if
> >>you want to learn how to use GPG, and what it is for.
> >>http://www.jethrocarr.com/articles/presentations/downloads/gnupg-presentation.pdf
> >>

> >>And here are the keysigning instructions:
> >>---
> >>
> >>1) Setup a key, and upload it to a GPG key server. For simplicity,
> >>everyone should use the same server “pgp.mit.edu”. To upload your key to
> >>that server:
> >>gpg --keyserver=pgp.mit.edu --send-keys keyid
> >>

> >>2) Make a business card, or a strip of paper with either your key ID or
> >>email address and your GPG fingerprint on it.
> >>
> >>3) Bring plenty of those cards to the next meeting. Use the number of
> >>replies + 5 to gauge the number to bring.
> >>
> >>4) At the meeting, everyone with a GPG key can get together, hand each
> >>other cards, and then go home, sign the keys, and upload the signed key
> >>to the same server. Details on the after-meeting part will be posted to
> >>this list after the meeting.
> >>

> >>The main thing you need by the meeting to get the key setup, and
> >>uploaded to the keyserver. After the meeting comes the more complex part
> >>of keysigning.
> >>

> >>If you get stuck, please just send me an email.
> >>

> >>thanks,

> Hi Jethro and all,
>
> I think I might come along to this meeting and would like to take part
> in the key signing. Is a passport by itself acceptable for
> identification or would 2 pieces of ID be better?

oh, I should have mentioned about ID. :-)

I'd happily sign someone's key if they have a NZ drivers licence, or
some other respectable form of photo id. :-)

Drivers license plus eftpos card would be better, as some people like
having 2 types.

I'm not really worried about 2 forms of photo, as it's actually quite
hard to get 2 forms, without getting your passport out. (infact, my
passport is outdated, so it's no good anyway)

So drivers licence + bank card, or drivers licence + work would be fine
with me.

cheers,

--
Jethro Carr