[wellylug] crazy changes, brain power needed

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Sun Aug 6 16:56:03 NZST 2006

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Andrej wrote:

> On Sunday 06 August 2006 16:45, Mark Foster wrote:
>
>> ... and at the risk of being competitive, did you talk to
>> their helpdesk?
> Not quite sure how that's competitive, but I did talk to
> helpdesk in the morning (they said they'd ring me back once
> a senior technician had looked into this; they didn't). I
> only kept checking their network status website.
>
> Why?

The question was directed at Lyndsay.

Despite their network status page content, this is the sort of thing that
ISP helpdesk'rs (ok, second or third tier maybe) are in a far better
position to troubleshoot than the LUG.  That, and theyre likely to be in a
position to spot patterns in any faults being raised with them.  If people
don't raise faults, they often don't know theres a problem...

Andrej, the fact you called the Helpdesk is excellent; their lack of
followup, typical - but at least you made them aware of the fault...

People who complain about the state of an ISPs network / performance (etc)
but don't actually draw the situation to their ISPs attention, are
people who irritate me personally. Speaking as someone who is both ISP
client and, in the past, ISP
support, theres a lot of negative press which is simply 'snowball' effect,
and i'd rather see facts presented, and a serious attempt at
troubleshooting actioned.  If you don't make your voice heard - even with
just an email to the helpdesk - then you're effectively saying that you're
happy with services rendered. (to a point.)

That, and this is a LUG...

/rant

Mark.