[wellylug] mutt/bounce/postfix

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Wed Aug 9 20:44:45 NZST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 20:30 +1200, Persian wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 08:58:36 +1200, Cliff Pratt wrote:
> >
> > If you are up to it, you can test email with 'telnet' to see what is
> > actually sent to Clear's server:
> >
> > http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/smtp.html
>

> I printed these instructions, the first line is
> open a connection to your mail server, example given is telnet mail.domain.ext 25
>
> I put
> telnet smtp.clear.net.nz
> I got
> trying 203.97.33.211
> and nothing else, it just sat there.
>
> Any clues please?
> What should it be if not smtp.clear etc?

hi Lyndsay,

Based on your recent posts, I would say that your skills are not too
strong in this area.

I would advise that you find a more knowledgeable friend to sit down
with you at your computer and help you through using it.

It will save you lots of time and frustration, and you'll learn
something new. :-)

The reason the command failed, is that you are wanting to access the
mail server, not a telnet server. Todo this, we need to tell it to use
the SMTP port (25).

See my example:
---
[jethro at jessie ~]$ telnet 203.97.33.211 25
Trying 203.97.33.211...
Connected to smtp.clear.net.nz (203.97.33.211).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp2.clear.net.nz -- Server ESMTP (CLEAR Net)
---

and your connected. to quit, enter:
---
quit