Debian/Ubuntu as cruelty? (was Re: [wellylug] ubuntu help.... & SimplyMEPIS Linux)

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Aug 18 18:12:53 NZST 2006

--- Jonathan Harker <jon at jon.geek.nz> wrote:

> Cliff Pratt wrote:
> > It's highly likely that the system is not correctly configured with
> > repositories correctly set, and the guy will find that he has a system
> > that he can't get updates for!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Cliff
>
> Well, shouting at him about how crap you think he is isn't going to help.

I gotta chuckle sometimes. All this coz the repositories were not correctly
configured on a box with no net access. I hadn't realised Ubuntu/Debian was so
advanced that the package mgmt works without internet access.

I should stick to asking for help with RPM distros instead, people then just
offer useful advice (with the odd exception of "just use Debian!" messages :-)

That new package mgr you mention looks interesting. Have you any experience
with it?

Brent