[wellylug] 32bit or 64bit

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Tue Aug 29 17:12:32 NZST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 16:53 +1200, Harrold Potter wrote:
> Ok what is my best option. I am playing with Ubuntu and Kubuntu at the
> moment, I like the look and ease of use of KDE best though and am
> still not technically minded like the majority of people on here but I
> must say I have come a long way since a year ago using Xandros.
>
> At the moment I have only tried the 32 bit versions of both and not
> sure if it is worth trying the 64bit version as I have heard that
> multimedia is a bit of a nightmare, i.e getting dvd playback and also
> playing the likes of wmv files.
>
> Is the 64bit version that much faster that it is worth trying?

for normal desktop use, you will probably not notice any difference.

And the loss of some multimedia codacs (aka: closed binary ones), and
the lack of 64bit OO.org, will probably be a bit of a problem for you.

Not sure about DVD playing... I haven't heard anything about that not
working.

--
Jethro Carr

www.jethrocarr.com