[wellylug] Buy 3-head PC pre-loaded with Linux

Phillip Hutchings sitharus at sitharus.com
Mon Dec 11 12:34:31 NZDT 2006

Judging by the interwebs a 3Ghz Xeon would give you 6000 BogoMIPS.
Interestingly there are plenty of accounts of multi-core CPUs giving
stupidly high BogoMIPS, but mine gave around the reported Core 2 Duo
readings, even though I was virtualising it on a single CPU.

For compiling frequently I'd recommend a 2.16Ghz+ Core Duo or similar.
If you find one with two x16 PCIe slots you'll easily get four
monitors. Getting one with Linux will be harder though - Dell will
sell you a Windows one for ~$3k, but only with dual monitor support.

On 12/11/06, Nic Cave-Lynch <nic at tymar.com> wrote:
> Good point about the figure for dual-core. I'm so old that all this new-fangled
> dual core stuff is taking some getting used to.
>
> The first computer of which I had any knowledge (admittedly not one I ever used)
> had tubes of mercury round the outside of the cards for the ALU registers:
> magnetic pulses of different polarity were injected in one end to represent ones
> or zeros, then rad out at the other. The length of the column of mercury defined
> the register size. Ah those were the days: when men were real men, hardware
> engineers had mercury poisoning, and furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were
> _real_ furry creatures from Alpha Centauri...
>
> Back to the grindstone now.
>

> Phillip Hutchings wrote:
> >> I guess, fundamentally, it's a difference in perception: you perceive
> >> that
> >> Bogomips is irrelevant for your assessment of performance, and I say it
> >> correlates reasonably well with _my_ assessment of performance. Who's
> >> to say
> >> who's right?
> >
> > My machine has 3700 BogoMIPS. It's a 1.83 Core 2 Duo. As you say
> > you're compiling I would put money on that this machine would be just
> > as fast, if not faster, than a 6000 BogoMIPS CPU, BogoMIPS doesn't
> > count multi-core/multi-CPU machines as it's not essential for kernel
> > timing, both CPUs should be the same speed.
> >

> --

Phillip Hutchings
http://www.sitharus.com/