[wellylug] Relevant qualifications for Linux Administration. (Was: follow-up on job-ad-question ...)

Jethro carr jethro.carr at jedolinux.com
Sat Feb 11 14:36:54 NZDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 14:22 +1300, Mark Foster wrote:

> Aka my point is that theres people out there with the right skill sets,
> lacking the formal quals - make sure they are at least given opportunity
> to try out.  You dont know what you'll be missing otherwise.

very true. I also know many good sysadmins without qualifications.

the best way is to see what projects they have been involved in. Even
people with no work experience (ie: school leavers) who have some skills
in open source will usually worked on some sort of project. (eg: package
maintainer of a distro, setting up a school network system, etc.)

If they have no work experience (ie: school leaver), try them on a
6month contract. If they suck, you can just let the contract end,
without the hassle of having to fire someone. If they are great, make
them full time.

the problem with the lack of qualifications, is that many companies
outsource recruiting. The recruiters usually know as much about
computers as your mum/dad. They just look at your qualifications list to
see what you have, and without them, disregard you. They don't
understand what a 'debian contributor is.

it's a big problem, that has no real solution. Qualifications like LPI
level 1 are a start though. Documentation is free off the internet, and
the exams can be taken in most places of the work. Level 1 is quite
suited to basic administration.

--
Jethro Carr <jethro.carr at jedolinux.com>

www.jethrocarr.jedolinux.com