[wellylug] Very Important: Meeting of 13th Feb 2005

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Tue Feb 14 16:34:17 NZDT 2006

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 04:19:49PM +1300, David Murray wrote:
> I'd like to see a small (15 minutes absolute max) learning segment near
> the beginning of each month's meeting where people can share/present some
> tip, or trick, or some cool feature that they've only just discovered, or
> stuff like that. Something short, straight forward and useful. And if
> people want to find out more about what was presented, then they can
> approach the person who presented the segment.

Yes, this structure seems to work well for other groups too. It doesn't
matter that the beginners' tips are potentially wrong, or too simple for
the net.heads - they're worth having.

> I'd like to see, for example, somebody explain briefly how runlevels work,
> and what the difference is between runlevels on Linux and runlevels on BSD
> unix.

How about a Q&A section, on a theme? Someone stands up to field
"sysadmin" questions, people throw them in from the floor, over IRC or
by prior email submission?

> Who among us would enjoy the challenge of doing these sorts of
> presentations?

:-)

> Anybody want to share those triumphs with the rest of us?

I just figured out the first few parts of Ruby on Rails ... someone
might be interested in that ...

> And who would be the co-ordinator of this?

wlug_org, or "someone who is interested enough to try to mke it happen
themselves" - or Jethro :-)

> Whose letterbox/email address is the one for communications to WellyLUG?

wlug_org

> How best to achieve WellyLUG's stated aims (see above), given the greater
> public interest currently being shown towards Linux.

More face-to-face. But not just beer/food events, because they're not
completely accessible to all.

> And, how best to promote WellyLUG to the public at large (many of whom

Hmmm. Never been sure about that sort of thing ...

-jim