[wellylug] Very Important: Meeting of 13th Feb 2005

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Wed Feb 15 20:14:21 NZDT 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Brent Wood wrote:

> As usual, some very good & lucid points from Ewen :-)
>

> If WellyLUG takes seriously it's claimed function as being to promote Linux &
> OS, then Linux, OS & WellyLUG need to be perceived as credible. In the last 5
> years Linux & OS have moved from fringe to mainstream. To reflect this, and
> move away from the impression that Linux is only used by a few enthusiasts, I
> believe the LUG, _if_ it really intends to promote Linux (as distinct from
> merely supporting Linux users), needs to reflect this.
>
> I heard a few comments after the MS attendance at a WellyLUG meeting, that if
> MS NZ was at all concerned about Linux as a credible threat, they would have
> been reassured by attending the WellyLUG meeting. I find it sad that so many
> so-called Linux supporters are quite comfortable with this.

Depends on whos making the comments.
I look at it another way.
The 'Linux Users Group' concept is alive-and-well, world wide.  How many
'Microsoft Users Groups' are there?

The fact that LUGs can be set up very quickly and without the obligation
to become legally configured or affiliated means that its easy for them to
spring up - and easy for people who might not otherwise have the time to
participate.

> Incorporation does provide credibility, and as far as I'm concerned, for
> WellyLUG, that is the ONLY advantage in it. It is not necessary for any LUG
> activities, and I don't think that is a serious issue. I've never suggested
> incorporation as appropriate, & feel it is a red herring as far as operating
> the LUG is concerned.

I agree 100% with you here.
It will add credibility.
I'm not convinced however that the credibility it will add is actually of
particularly significant value.  The LUG, for as long as it has a strong
membership and is active, will retain the credibility that it gains
through members involvement and support.   In the end, size, continuity
etc are all looked at. Look at NZNOG for example.

> As far as the Wellington installfest is concerned, I would be better off
> running it as an NZOSS event to get any sort of corporate support. I'm
> guessing, but I think I could probably get enough experts to assist with
> installs from people I know & local NZOSS members. So is there any point in
> involving WellyLUG at all?

Uhm, yes.  WellyLUG provide the manpower, the expertise, the logistics.
NZOSS would be providing the 'legal underwriting'.  Theyve already
specified that theyre happy to do so - and even have a fund for sponsoring
costs incurred up to a point as well.   We've done this successfully in
Auckland... every Installfest there has been a LUG one.
(And we secured corporate sponsorship too.)

> The comments from several WellyLUG members suggest that events such as
> installfests are run by a group of enthusiasts, who will get together & do
> these things anyway.

Is not WellyLUG that group of supporters?  Would that not effectively be
the origins?

> With the NZOSS for branding & support, & enthusiastic individuals who don't
> need the LUG for these events, why do we have a WellyLUG?

What does WellyLUG offer? Meetings, Mailing List, forum, website etc etc.
Are they not good reasons?  The Linux Users Group can be exactly that - a
group of Linux Users - it can have identity, branding, and community
involvement. NZOSS have allied, but slightly different, goals.

> I'm quite happy to work with & through the NZOSS to run installfests & other
> Linux/OS related events, such as Software Freedom Day (which really only had a
> couple of LUG members doing anything anyway, both of whom are also NZOSS
> members). But I'd much prefer to have an active LUG in Wellington promoting &
> supporting Linux.

Id much rather be involved in a LUG too.  NZOSS aren't really in the
'Installfest running game', bearing in mind Linux is just one avenue for
Open Source.  Theyd support Installfests - perhaps run one in a region not
already supported by a LUG - but not replace the role of a LUG....
Installfest are a community thing, and LUGs are representative of that
community.

> If the majority of WellyLUG members disagree, and feel that the NZOSS is better
> suited to to be the front organization to promote Linux & OS in & around
> Wellington, so be it. But I suggest the WellyLUG goals on the website are
> modified to reflect this, by removing the first two.

I would hope theres no disagreement.... because you have quite eloquently
described the situation.

Mark.