[wellylug] Very Important: Meeting of 13th Feb 2005

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Wed Feb 15 22:21:38 NZDT 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 10:02:09PM +1300, Rob Giltrap wrote:
> Jim Cheetham wrote:
> Well if your talking about a name change then I think we should broaden
> the name to be more inclusive of all Open Source kernels.
>
> How about...
>
> WELLington
>
>  Help for
>  Users of
> *Nix
>  Group
>
> I think it abbreviates well and sounds 'respectable' as Jim puts it.

Love it!! :-)

Actually, one of Christchurch's recent issues was around names, so
perhaps I shouldn't have opened the subject. As has been pointed out,
you can't be listed by FSF if you say "Linux" without saying "GNU". I'm
not sure what the situation is if you say "Unix" :-) Anyway, this issue
is one of the things that prompted a group split into two different
sections (but they are still friendly, and there is huge overlap)

"OSS" allows for non-*nix usages (in fact, it should positively
encourage it) but that's a big focus change, and is unlikely to be
appropriate.

Hmmm ... perhaps I should stop ...

-jim