[wellylug] Modem Problem

B & B Chapman b.chapman at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jan 19 19:45:44 NZDT 2006

Good evening all

I have done my first Linux install and it all went well except for the modem (a real modem in an ISA slot).  The computer is a clone and I have devoted a 10 GB HDD to Fedora Core 3.  The applications I have tried all work well.  The processor is an Athlon 1.3Ghz, 512 Mb RAM.  'C' drive has Win XP installed and dual booting works as advertised.

The modem is a Dynalink 56k on Com 3 IRQ 4.  Com 1 and Com 2 are disabled in BIOS to allow the modem to work in XP.

Core 3 Hardware Browser identifies the modem as "Rockwell 56k ACFII Fax Data Voice Modem" but lists it as an unknown device.

Internet Connection Wizard under modem connection reports 'System-config-network - No Modem found'

Select modem as /dev/modem or /dev/ttyS2 still does not help.

This newby needs help.  Can you?

regards

Barry