[wellylug] Grub advise required

andrej at paradise.net.nz andrej at paradise.net.nz
Mon Jul 10 10:38:47 NZST 2006

Quoting Peter Jones <PeterJ at indeserve.co.nz>:

> Thought of that too, but want to make it as user-proof as possible. A
> menu to select which user is which, then a userid and strong password.
The problem is (remains, and will remain) that grub can't hide anything
from the BIOS once an OS is loaded.  It only can in the first phase of
the boot.  And if you have two windows partitions whose boot-order
you modify via grub for the boot-process an inquisitive enough person
with admin privileges on their partition WILL be able to find the
other HDD, no problem.  And so will the malware & viruses that person
potentially invited in with their reckless behaviour.

I HIGHLY recommend the drive-cage solution, or telling the kid that
his visitors CAN'T use the machine at all, and need to bring their own
for the LAN party.  My 2cents.

Cheers,
Andrej