[wellylug] The Movie of the Month

David Murray newslists at electronincantation.net.nz
Wed Mar 1 16:16:26 NZDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 15:18 +1300, Jethro Carr wrote:
> > ... so 'showings' of that nature would still probably require special
> > permission.
>
> If we did it like a movie. But if we had it playing on a normal PC
> (which people could walk past), I can't see why we would.

Whatever means you choose to do a public screening of a copyrighted
film, you will need to get permission to screen it.

> Plus, we can ask the director, who seems to usually say "yes" to these
> things for free.

If the Director of that film is the person who owns the copyright to it,
then by all means ask her/him for permission. And if we can get the use
of that work for free, then great!

Personally, I'd be inclined to find out what the film is actually like
before making any move like that.

How long is this film? $20 is reasonably expensive for viewing a film at
that time of day.

Is there no chance of WellyLUG getting a DVD of that film and playing it
at one of our regular nights at LAN Place?

Cheers

David Murray