[wellylug] [OT] 3x PC's free to a good home

Jonathan Harker jon at jon.geek.nz
Mon Mar 20 18:12:32 NZST 2006

Chris Hodgetts wrote:
> Ewan has SAID *MANY TIMES* that NO it's not appropriate to list free
> hardware on this list.. that is , in his mind, advertising, and WE NEED
> TO RESPECT HIS WISHES!!
>
> Personally.. I feel that the next people to violate the requests of the
> mail list owner, needs to be removed from the list instantly..
>
> Anyone else feel the same!

I don't feel the same way at all. I don't see what the big f**n deal is.
Everyone knows that most Linux people are hardware freaks too. If I knew
of some useful gear going that I knew someone here would be interested
in, or a Linux job going in the community that wasn't listed on an
agency list or similar, I can't think of a better place to post notice
of it than a LOCAL LINUX LIST. I personally wouldn't right now because
the RULES say not to, but that doesn't mean I agree with them.

Can we please get over this strange aversion to "advertising". Sometimes
advertising isn't actually advertising. Why not DEFINE the advertising
that offends us, and ban that? Personally someone's free gear they want
to notify other geeks about or other such things don't offend me.