[wellylug] Important: Rule Breaking Process

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Thu Mar 23 11:26:41 NZST 2006

>> Who is gonna arbiter this one?
>
> Perhaps the Committee?
>
> Oh yeah - WellyLUG has no normal organisational structure. Well NO WONDER we
> get so much bitching about what people are or are not doing!

With respect this need not necessarily be the case.
The List Admin (or admins) get the final say, we as guests of their
equipment must adhere. Simple.

The issue becomes when that 'adherance' goes beyond the realms of
commonsense... the reaction to this whole thread by those who disagreed
with 'advertising' in the form of that posted by Michael goes beyond
Commonsense.

> Making hardware available to members does not necessrily mean that details
> are sent out in emails.
>
> I mean, why CAN'T we share hardware amongst ourselves?
>
> I've got some hardware sitting around that I no longer use but which somebody
> else might find useful. I'm not looking for money for it - I'd just be happy
> to see it being usefully used - especially for educational purposes related
> to Linux.
>
> If we want to foster the uptake of Linux in a secure way, then surely one
> really useful way to do that is to give members the opportunity to learn
> about security as it relates to servers as well as desktops.
>
> It's all find and good giving people a mini-lecture about how to use NFS, but
> if they have no opportunity to try it out for themselves then what is the
> point?

Agree 100%!
As I posted earlier, I think theres a need for participants to grow a
thicker skin and accept that not everything posted will appeal to
everyone, all of the time.

Mark.